Thursday, June 1, 2017

ICAD 2017: Day 1

This summer will be my third time participating in the Index-Card-a-Day (ICAD) challenge, the brainchild of Tammy Garcia, who posts weekly prompts and themes on her blog, Daisy Yellow. 

Although I have yet to make it through the two full months of prompts, last year, I came close. Maybe this year I'll go the distance -- but if not, that's okay. The challenge is all about the process, about making room each day to play, to experiment, and to be creative...on an index-card canvas. 

Today is Day 1, and the prompt is, fittingly, "Sunrise."  
In keeping with this week's theme (which is totally optional, by the way), I incorporated typography, words, found text, and lists. 

The card was actually therapeutic for me. I'm having surgery this week, and I am, in a word, scared, so much so that I was hesitant about spending time doing anything but worrying. I thought about postponing ICAD until mid-June, but the idea of "sunrise" -- of beginning again after a long night -- spoke to me, and I gave myself over to the process, with the wonderful side effect of not worrying for 15 minutes, something I haven't done much since the surgery was scheduled. 

I'm not sure whether the recovery is going to interfere much with the rest of this week's cards, but I'm looking forward to playing catch-up regardless, with a heart that is grateful for every sunrise with which I am blessed. 

6 comments:

  1. I am praying your surgery goes well. Love this card and love your art , always. I am taking part in this challenge, in my own way, as I would like to resume my relationship with drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your surgery. I follow your blog religiously but this is the first time I've commented. I look forward to reading your words and seeing your art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, thanks so much for your well-wishes!

      Delete
  3. I have not missed a single ICAD posting (nor any of your others). I, too, will send prayers your way for successful surgery and a quick recovery. Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping in, Mary! Thanks for the prayers -- they definitely helped. ;)

      Delete